Monday, October 19, 2009

Writing from Immortality

I was under a big pitch when the loud sound of firing was heard. It was somewhere around the month of October. I remember the day when my uncle was nearly shot. It was the time of Dashain festival. All the people were preparing for the grand Puja. People were decorating their houses and we were not exception. At this festive mood I along with my uncle and his son was hiding under a pitch to save our soul. It was for the sake of society we were saving our life, not for our sake. It was not only for the sake of society but also for the security of nation we were working for.

"Don’t sneeze the wild beasts may catch us". Uncle whispered in ear.
"How can I control? My blood is cold." I murmured
"Hunters are coming towards us, lie down"
"Let us die together uncle, we have no way out" I shouted
"Shut up!" uncle closed my mouth with his hands tightly.

At that time I had already started thinking about the life after death. I was not thinking about my life but about the tragic life that was to be experienced by the relatives in such an infernal place.

'Now we have been killed. We will not be able to take part in the drama we practiced. All our family members will be eagerly waiting for uncle to present his interesting experience as a social worker. But, unfortunately the news of our death will go off. Every one would cry not for our loss but for the fear of danger that might befall upon them. Who might put tika on the forehead of my sister Rekha? All will not enjoy. Everyone might mourn out death. All the people might be distracted from the celebration of Dashain. Villagers might start running from the village for safety. Some might be hiding like us in pitch made by the underground outfits.' I thought in depression.

The sounds of machine guns were approaching towards us. Somebody was guiding the wild people to kill us. WE knew this because those people had great inclination towards them.

"Come, come Suresh. Let's run. Enemies are reaching us". Uncle awakened Suresh
"Common" I added.
"You two run in front of me. I will be back to give you security. Even if I am shot I would fight and save you until I die" uncle whispered in a sympathetic tone.
"Okay uncle, let's run, be fast Suresh"
All of us came out of the pitch and started running in high speed. I ran at first, and then Suresh followed me. Uncle was running looking at the back whether the enemies were following. We ran along the bank of the river. By the time we reached there Suresh was already fatigued. He could not run any more. It was our compulsion to save him. It was also our duty to save ourselves. We were in dilemma either to leave him there or carry forward.

"Lets hide under water, I cannot run I am restless", Suresh expressed his sorrow.

There was palpitation in Suresh. Uncle reached and decided to carry him on his back. He carried him for an hour. By that time the sounds of bullet were heard in a short distance. Suddenly some big figures in combat dress were seen in a point blank range. They started firing towards us. We knew how to run in such a danger as we were habituated in our childhood to do so.
We ran in zigzag way. But in exchange of cross firing a sophisticated gun shot put its fiery hand on the back of my uncle who carrying Suresh. We were unfortunately fortunate because Suresh was hiding in front of his father's body when the gun was shot towards them. He was saved. Uncle was hardly speaking. Blood started oozing put of his body. We waited for help. Who would come in that inferno?
I simply started cursing the beasts who killed my uncle. They cursed in front. They were furious like tiger. How can a tiger leave deer in its mouth? I was also shot. Suresh was nervously sleeping. I had severe pain. I looked towards my uncle's body which had already become a corpse. All the wild beasts disappeared. I wanted Suresh to take revenge against the murderer. I wished his life. I would have told him not to spare the enemies if he was not slept. I wanted Suresh to be a reformer. I wished I and my uncle is remembered and declared as patriots. Then I was no more in this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment